City of Longueuil. There are several explanations for the origin of the name of the city of Longueuil. The explanation provided by Abbé Faillon is probably the most likely. According to his idea, Charles LeMoyne (1626-1685), lord of the area starting in 1657, named it after a village which is today the seat of a canton in the district of Dieppe in his homeland of Normandy. The Village of Longueuil was incorporated in 1848, becoming a town in 1874 and a city in 1927. In 1961 it annexed the town of Montréal-Sud, and in 1969 that of Jacques-Cartier; in 2002 it was merged with 7 nearby cities.|
University of Sherbrooke (Longueuil campus). The University of Sherbrooke was founded on 4 May 1954. It is the only university outside the major centres to grant baccalaureates, magistrates, and doctorates in all the main fields of study. Its Longueuil campus is located in the Complexe Saint-Charles.
Formerly called: Longueuil (until 26 September 2003). The name change was approved in November 2002 by the STM board of directors upon request by the university. Despite disputes surrounding the advisability of the change, it was approved by the Commission de toponymie du Québec on 13 August 2003. Info-STM page (.pdf format, in French)
Name during planning phase: Rive-Sud.