ORIGIN OF THE NAME
Église Saint-Paul, for which av. de l'Église is named Avenue de l'Église. This street, now named for the Église Saint-Paul in Côte Saint-Paul, is one of the oldest in the neighbourhood. It first appears anonymously in an 1834 map, the only link between Côte Saint-Paul and Chemin de la Rivière Saint-Pierre (now Rue Saint-Patrick and Boul. LaSalle).

It is called Chemin de la Côte-Saint-Paul in an 1879 map, but at some point after the first Église Saint-Paul was built, the street's name was changed to Avenue de l'Église.

The length of the street in Verdun, previously called Pavilion Street, was assimilated into the avenue as Church Street and later avenue de l'Église.

Former alternate names: Avenue de l'Église; Église.

 PLATFORM DEPTH
H.-Beaugrand platform: 19,8m deep
Angrignon platform: 25,6 m deep
(5th deepest station)
 TRAFFIC
2 295 037 entrances in 2006
(40th busiest station)

 INTERSTATION DISTANCE
To Verdun:
To LaSalle:
563,86 metres
812,30 metres

 TRIVIA
Model of the Wellington kiosk
Model of the Wellington kiosk
Architect's conception of the trainroom
Architect's conception of the trainroom, with side platforms

View of the caved-in station vault
View of the caved-in station vault
View of the sinkhole in rue Wellington
View of the sinkhole in rue Wellington

The cave-in in the station construction site on 20 March 1974 began when dynamiting caused the weak rock above the station to crack, and the metal braces supporting it to begin to vibrate. (The concrete vault had not yet been poured.) The worksite was evacuated. For a time it was thought that work would be able to continue, but abruptly the roadway (which had been open to traffic during the construction) began to shudder, bulge, and subside. Finally, a section of the road collapsed and fell into the pit. The whole area was evacuated, due both to the resulting gas leak from destroyed conduits, and to fears for the safety of nearby buildings. In the end, the entire pit was filled in with crushed rock in order to stop the escaping gas and any further landslides.

The architectural plans were modified to halve the station's width by using stacked platforms. Charlevoix station's plans were also modified in consequence. Other stations in the same rock formation, including Verdun, LaSalle, Place-d'Armes, and Champ-de-Mars, are built in trench.

The accident not only delayed the opening of the extension from 1976 to 1978, but it forced rue Wellington to be closed. Local merchants responded to the 40% drop in business by holding a sidewalk sale in the remaining portions of the street, including a tightrope walker who traversed the construction pit.

Other smaller cave-ins troubled the rest of the construction. In the rush to finish the station for the new deadline of 3 September 1978, the av. de l'Église exit was not completed in time; the station used only the rue Wellington exit until 1979.

Images maquette.jpg, sketch.jpg, cavein-int.jpg, and cavein-ext.jpg courtesy of the STM archives. Thank you to Benoît Clairoux.